US president-elect Joe Biden has a foot fracture and will likely have to wear a medical boot, his team said Sunday after the 78-year-old was taken to the doctor because he had slipped while playing with his dog.
The president-elect’s personal physician Kevin O’Connor initially said x-rays had not uncovered any “obvious fracture”, but added that an additional CT scan would still be done.
That scan “confirmed hairline (small) fractures… in the mid-foot,” O’Connor said in a subsequent statement released by Biden’s office.
He added that the former vice president, who won election against Donald Trump in November, “will likely require a walking boot for several weeks”.
With both Biden and Trump in their 70s, age was an issue in the presidential race, even if it often took a backseat to pressing matters like the Covid-19 pandemic.
Trump’s health was briefly of intense concern when he caught Covid-19, but the president resumed campaigning after getting a series of treatments — including an experimental antibody cocktail.
Trump, a famously finicky germophobe, was the first president in over a century to not have a dog.
The Bidens fostered and then adopted Major in 2018, while Champ has been with the family since 2008.
Biden officials have said Major will become the first rescue dog to live in the White House.
- The predicted ‘blue wave’ never came and America’s wounds are unwashed (0)
- Biden urges a cautious Thanksgiving as Trump rages on against election loss (0)
- In appointing John Kerry to top role, Biden shows he’s serious about climate (0)
- US President-elect Biden to pick ex-Fed chair Yellen as first female US Treasury chief (0)
- Trump says he will leave the White House if US Electoral College votes for Biden (0)
- US President-elect Biden to nominate long-time adviser Blinken for secretary of state (0)
- Trump rejects plans to hold virtual debate as ‘not acceptable’ (0)
- Fauci warns of post-Thanksgiving surge in US Covid-19 cases (0)
- Coronavirus pandemic, economic crisis set to dominate Saudi-hosted G20 summit (0)
- China beat the coronavirus with science and strong public health measures, not just with authoritarianism (0)
- Biden expected to pick Antony Blinken as secretary of state (0)
- Why the safety process reassures experts (0)
- US approves Regeneron Covid-19 antibody treatment given to Trump (0)
- Trump’s fellow Republicans reject idea of delayed Presidential Election (0)
- Trump Has the Coronavirus. What Risks Does He Face? (0)
- Trump authorises his government to begin transition to President-elect Joe Biden (0)
- Markets extend rally as Biden, vaccine lift global prospects (0)
- Germany hits million virus cases as vaccine doubt emerges (0)
- Coronavirus cases, hospitalizations keep climbing (0)
- Americans brace for Covid ‘surge upon a surge’ (0)