What is livedo reticularis?
Livedo reticularis refers to various conditions in which there is mottled discolouration of the skin. It is described as being reticular (net-like, lace-like), as cyanotic discolouration surrounds pale central skin.
The terminology of livedo reticularis may include:
- Cutis marmorata: physiological, variable livedo
- Cutis marmorata telangiectatica congenita: a congenital form of persistent livedo
- Primary livedo reticularis: a benign form of livedo of unknown cause
- Secondary livedo reticularis: association of livedo with an underlying systemic disease
- Livedo racemosa: a generalised and persistent form of livedo.